Thursday, January 25, 2018

Experimenting

Based on some of the discussions in class about putting cryptids (unnoticed) into situations I've sketched up a couple of really rough ideas of what that might look like. I used a couple of photos of some MBTA cars and Atomic Cafe that I found online to act as substitutes of actual photos since I was too busy to get any good photographs myself in the past two days. I think I would like to expand this idea further, and have been toying with the idea of placing the cryptids into photographs of places I frequent or find comfort in, to connect back to the idea of personal alienation, and how these are the places I go to when I'm feeling that way in order to feel better. I've also been looking at photographs where one element of it is animated, and then made into a gif. I think that might be where I'd next like to go, with taking photographs and then placing the cryptids or aliens into them as the one animated element. It might be an interesting way to both highlight the creatures while also placing them into a physical setting, while also challenging me to consider adding the dynamic of motion as well. I think this also would tie in well with the nature of videos that have supposedly captured cryptids on camera, as they frequently are very short, looped fragments of film, lending itself well to using a touch of animation in these pieces as well. I think this would also be a good place to potentially incorporate humor, being able to push them into more ridiculous things with animation than with still images, such as the gif included below that I have been messing around with this past week in my down time of a pole-dancing Nightcrawler.

Bigfoot on the MBTA rough idea sketch

Ningen at Atomic rough idea sketch


Example of an in-progress Nightcrawler gif

No comments:

Post a Comment