Monday, January 29, 2018

Ideas

This week I have been looking at Land artists that may inspire me in my project. I looked at Andy Goldsworthy natural sculptures as well as Sophia Ainsile's Consumerism. I also studied more in the paper process. I've learned/thought about

• Paper is made from soft trees in most cases (conifer trees such as pine and spruce.) They grow quicker than hard trees and have better fibers for stronger paper.

• Paper can lead to deforestation. Trees can be planted and replaced and should be. Cutting and shipping trees to mills requires 18 wheelers which are not known for phenomenal milage.

• Going paperless means the use of electronics which are becoming energy efficient but still require in most cases fossil fuels to use. Not the perfect solution.

• How quick people recycle or toss paper away. Tiny tear, boom, in the bin. Something that could be erased? Nah, in the bin.

• For every ton of recycled paper, 683 gallons of oil is saved along with 17 trees.

As of now, I am thinking about recycling paper and the tree and how to display this information. Recycled paper could be woven into the textures of the bark. Pine trees and such tend to have very thin lined bark. I could also place paper on pine cones which is a cycle. Pine cones being the seeds for these trees which then grow and create more trees for oxygen and paper. Planted pine cones would mean that the paper was decomposing in the ground too and would be cycled back into the earth.


As for the artists I have been looking at, I find the sculptural and ascetics of Goldworthy's work beautiful and minimal. I was very interested in Ainsile's work and how she had a sculptural item, the detergent bottles and then created prints with photographs to show the work in a 2D method.

No comments:

Post a Comment