Thursday, March 29, 2018

Updates

So for this week I've spent a lot of time getting things ready to order/print/make for the show, so I don't have a whole lot of new work to show at the moment, but I'll post the progress I've made on said things so far.

First, I reformatted the alien heads from last week to have a higher dpi so I can use them in more applications without worrying about losing quality if I decide to print them larger. I also created a new one, as well as fixed one of the older ones to be a bit less busy and convoluted in design.

Fixed this one up from a prior design and increased the saturation all around

This is a new design based on something I was working on with a more retro feeling












































































Secondly, I decided to make stickers to sell at the show using some of these more complicated, vector based designs since I think those will be more truly represented in a digital form rather than trying to print them by hand with so many layers involved. Die cut stickers seems like a good option since they are small and relatively inexpensive so I feel they would be popular in this form, especially given the nature of the designs floating on empty space as they are now. Below is a mock up sheet of the stickers I'm planning on having made (the blue line is for the manufacturer, not part of the final designs).  They are each about 2.25x3" with a 5pt white border around the edges.





















I've also updated my thesis with a really short summary. If it needs to be longer, I can definitely
expand on it but I wasn't sure how much would be too much, so I kept it short and simple. I also wrote it in the third person since it felt more applicable to something like a press release or website post which is what it sounded like the gallery needed it for.

Alienation is a body of work by Liam St.Laurent that uses extraterrestrial imagery and photographs of empty streets and rainy days to explore the artist's relationship with feelings of isolation. The photographs capturing singular moments in time are offset by screen printing, where the individualized nature of each hand-pulled print reflects the turbulent nature of life.

That's most of what I visibly have done this week, as the rest of it is just formatting images and making sure resolutions and dpi's are at a good point to print at a large enough scale for the show, or turning the high contrast and "grungy" ufo images into bitmaps so that I can retain their old film look when screen printing them over the weekend and into next week. Going on John's suggestion about how to simplify printing, I am going to have 12 aqua-colored shirts at the show that have one of the "photo" based prints on them for sale as well in solid black ink. I've also contacted Andy Bablo about vinyl for the show and will be working with him this week as well to get some type printed as well as the possibility of one of the alien head designs at a larger scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment