Tuesday, February 13, 2018

A wall of text

Literally.

Also, this will probably be the last text/writing only post. I was hit with inspiration on how to incorporate imagery with the type late today and didn't have time to make a mock-up or sketch yet, but promise to have some drawings and sketches for Thursday using the text I already have. I can also share the google doc I've typed a lot of these into with the class or here on the blog if anyone would like me to do that? I only take pictures of some of the better ones, since as you'll see below I have quite a bit to choose from, and I also edit some of them on the google doc to make them stronger or more clear. Let me know if anyone has interest in that and if so how you'd like me to share it. So below is a picture first showing all of the post-its so far spread out on my dresser since my walls are too full of artwork and posters to properly display them that way. Then some of the ones I liked most/felt were stronger, funnier, or more focused out of the bunch of them. Let me know what you think.

I'm considering the idea of splitting them into several zines/small books since looking at them all spread out I notice a few themes crop up multiple times across the board that would fit well when compiled together in separate books rather than one whole book/zine type deal. I also may choose to take a slightly more narrative approach to them in order to make them more legible so if someone were to pick them up at the show they can follow along on some level beyond these very abstract thoughts. So thats the next step for me - editing and compartmentalizing all of what I have now, as well as any that I may add as the semester continues, and dividing them into sections based on recurring themes. Then try to find a way to make them a tad more narrative for ease of understanding when put into a book type format.

Edit [3/3/18] Fixed some formatting issues and removed captions to place text below the images so that the images all align left again and the text sits comfortably below them.








































The wall of post-its as they currently stand on my dresser. They take up 4/5 of it being laid nearly right on top of one another.







































I'm so anxious I can't even enjoy petting dogs because I don't want the owner judging me for how I pet and talk to their puppy.







































I sometimes wish I hadn't been so successful in school. My grades have always been high, so I slipped under the radar in regards to fundamental skills. I can't set reasonable goals, my time management is shit, and I feel reaching out to ask for help must mean that I'm stupid/not good enough.







































After breaking down last year and making the rushed decision to take a break to avoid outright failure and complete collapse - I went to my then-therapist and the first thing they did was tell me I should have stayed. I got the same vibe from most people I came across in that year, but they can't see how even now there's still ripples of that break in my daily life and how much worse it would be if I had decided to stay.







































Somewhere along the line I fucked up. What was a coping mechanism to ease the pain and express my emotions more easily has now become too much of an actual open book into how I'm feeling to make humorous artwork with any semblance of comfort and ease.



Being 23 (22) is weird. It's that awkward middle ground between the naivety of teen years and the perceived "adulthood" of 25. It makes it hard to find groups to connect with. Do you choose the "youth" group only to age out of it by your next birthday, or join an adult group and pray you're not the only one there who's under 30. How do you find a community when you can't locate the space left for people like you?


Stop whistling at 11:30 at night. Fuck off. [update] Seriously it's 1 a.m. Whyyyyyyy??

1 comment:

  1. what is the significance of the post-its' color?
    impossible for them to be viewed, I believe, without this becoming a factor.

    are they numbered, catalogued? indexed?

    if installed in gallery show, might visitors take them off wall, take them home?
    or even add to them?
    or exchange one new one, for an old one?

    might each post-it have something rubber-stamped on the back?
    perhaps with a space for a hand-written number?

    ReplyDelete